Sweedish Fish

Friday, April 21, 2006

The People in our Chests

So, I'm just feeling really jazzed that the name Hanuman is being associated with this prestigious forum. And I'm really jazzed at Kristi's retelling of his story—it's a very special girl who can relate the tale of the greatest of all Hindu deities (Hi, Kris!!) Now there's a Wikipedia Wonder Woman!

Now, seeing as how I'm in the midst of a Finals frenzy, and don't have the time to impart all the Hanuman lore at my disposal, I will forego, for the present, a full elucidation of the monkey-god's commendable virtues. However, there were a few things I wanted you guys to know up front about Hanuman: 1) the reason why he's ripping his chest open in that picture Kris posted, 2) why there's people peeking out from inside, and 3) what this somewhat gruesome image has to do with all of us. So let me explain ...

The two faces in Rama's chest belong to Rama and Sita. In the image, Hanuman is showing us that he holds his friends in his heart. He is showing the source of his strength, because it was the love for his friends in his heart that made it possible for him to leap oceans, along with a myriad of other incredible feats I won't relate just now. He was able to do great things for his friends because he was motivated by a tremendous selfless love.

Now, most of you know Aaron came to visit me in India last summer. What you may not know is that he also sent me an email after he came home, telling me about his last day in India when he was separated from me and the students I was with. I want to share a bit of that email, because Aaron's comments are one more reason why I really enjoy the story of Hanuman:

I had a really good train ride to Chennai. I had a good conversation with two people on the train and got a good night's sleep on the way. I looked for a taxi to rent to go to Mamallapuram. I got estimates from 1500 rupies to 750 rupies. So I took the cheap one and they ended up raising the price 100 rupies. I got haggled so much in Chennai and at the temple that I really couldn't enjoy it. This tour guide would not leave me alone until I pretty much yelled at him. I was so mad and lonely and just plain upset. I looked through the temple for a bit and then I sat down on a bench in the shade. I wrote in my book and thought about my trip. It was a wonderful trip, but the most important thing to me that I had done, was spend time with you. And see what you had been doing and share another adventure with my best friend. I didn't care about that temple on the beach all that much if I was all alone while I was seeing it. I thought about Hanuman, and felt a lot more akin to him. What I care about most is not doing things, but doing things for and with the people I really care about. I want relationships, not travel logs.

I am really grateful to have had a friend who leapt across an ocean to be with me for a few days in India. I'm grateful for all of my friends, who remain my friends even as we are getting more and more spread apart. And I want you all to know that I hold you in my heart.

Hope to hear more from all of you! Thanks for setting up the blog, Caron.

THIS HAS BEEN A YELLOWBRAND PRODUCTION
for old news visit
  • www.mallard256.blogspot.com
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home