Sweedish Fish

Monday, May 29, 2006

high maintenance?

Well, I had a most amusing experience today, and I thought you all would find it interesting. I was at Best Buy shopping for a new digital camera (I know, welcome to the digital age). When you shop in Best Buy--girls, I am sure you can attest to this--the salesmen use flirting as their number one sales tactic if you are a girl. I was with my dad, so I was lucky this time. Well, we had to drag one of the salesmen away from the flirting fest for a moment in order to get his help. As we were getting what we needed, I couldn't help but hear what was going on with the flirting fest (one of the salesmen was still "trying to make a sale"). There were a couple of girls who, at least on the surface, didn't find a lot more to life than flirting with the Best Buy guy and spending the summer at Lake Powell. They were talking about why you would need a case for your camera, when I heard this choice comment: "I know we look like we're high maintenance, but we're not." Keep in mind, it was said in a manner that was very reminiscent of Reese Witherspoon in Legally Blonde. I couldn't help but snicker under my breath, and the salesman seemed very amused by the comment as well. Anyway, it made my day, to say the least.

By the way, I have set up a blog to record my experiences at NYU this summer. It's at http://nymauri.blogspot.com/. So, there it is, if you're interested. If you're really not interested, I promise I won't be offended if you never look at it. I don't flatter myself to think the world is interested in the daily goings on of my life. :) I hope you all had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

11 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Well, Mauri, if I'd known you had a blog, I would have been pestering you from the get-go. I'm pleased as punch and look forward to hearing about your adventures in the big city.

Loved this story. It inspired me with a new mantra:

"I don't look high-maintenance, but I'm sure trying to be."

11:17 AM  
Blogger caron said...

Melissa! How exciting to run into you here! I am saddened by the lack of comments made on this particular blog (ahem, hint hint :) ), and I was pleased to see your Rosie pop up. Perhaps you can inspire more interaction among the troops.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Mauri said...

I don't know, maybe there needs to be certain levels of high maintenance defined. That way we can all know once and for all where we stand in the world of high maintenance princesses. If you reach the highest level, maybe you could get a license plate that I saw once: HM PRIN. Ah, what an accomplishment.

10:48 PM  
Blogger caron said...

Perhaps someone needs to make one of those quizzes. Question number one will be, what are your personal feelings on high heels with jeans? :)

7:33 AM  
Blogger Mauri said...

Question number 2: When you are asked your height, do you need to clarify, "with or without the hairdo?"

8:34 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

So...I've had a few high maintenance roommates in the past...what's the definition for a high maintenance guy?

10:40 PM  
Blogger Joella said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Joella said...

This is all very amusing, especially because my own dear brother--Kelden--is a Best Buy salesman. I should ask him about his sales techniques.

Oh, and what's wrong with heels and jeans? ;)

11:05 AM  
Blogger Mauri said...

right, like I could ever see Joells in high heels and jeans. But, there's a first time for everything! :)

11:50 AM  
Blogger caron said...

I think a high maintenence guy is one who uses more than (3) styling products on his hair and more than 10 minutes in the morning "doing" his hair. And if they words "pretty boy" come to mind within then first 3.5 second of meeting him, the title is automatically granted.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Mauri said...

Along the same lines, I'm still not sure how I feel about men wearing pink. Does wearing pink classify as high maintenance for a guy, or is it just fashion savvy as wearing the "new black"? It's a quandary, to be sure.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home