the stuff dreams are made of
I just wanted to share with you my new-found joy: the J. Peterman catalog. What, you say? It actually exists? Yes, it does, and I am in love with the high, overly dramatic writing. It has references to The Maltese Falcon, Hemingway, The Great Gatsby, John Wayne, and numerous other greats. What really sets it off is how seriously it takes itself. For your reading enjoyment, here is an excerpt from one catalog in reference to a dress for sale:
"Brigid O'Shaughnessy walks into Sam Spade's office again, but this time she's not wearing a boxy suit. She's wearing this knockout. She doesn't need to be devious. Sam is powerfully motivated to find the real bird, and they end up riding down in the elevator together."
And then the color of the dress is "Black with small White Lilies of the valley pleading innocent."
Of course, I think what really makes this catalog is J. Peterman's statement in the opening philosophy: "Clearly, people want things that make their lives the way they wish they were."
Ahh, nothing like a little snooty flooty statement like that to set off the tone. Simply delightful reading. I recommend it to all for a little (or a lot) of reading pleasure.
"Brigid O'Shaughnessy walks into Sam Spade's office again, but this time she's not wearing a boxy suit. She's wearing this knockout. She doesn't need to be devious. Sam is powerfully motivated to find the real bird, and they end up riding down in the elevator together."
And then the color of the dress is "Black with small White Lilies of the valley pleading innocent."
Of course, I think what really makes this catalog is J. Peterman's statement in the opening philosophy: "Clearly, people want things that make their lives the way they wish they were."
Ahh, nothing like a little snooty flooty statement like that to set off the tone. Simply delightful reading. I recommend it to all for a little (or a lot) of reading pleasure.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home